Tomato Mushroom Meat Lasagna
This is a smaller-scale lasagna and will fill most of an 8 inch square pan. It is perfect for a smaller family. Double the recipe for a larger party.
- 1 c marinara sauce (vegetarian spaghetti sauce)
- 6 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 1 recipe for Vegetarian 'Mushroom Meat'
- 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese (3 oz)
- 3/4 c ricotta or cottage cheese
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (divided use)
- 2 Tbsp minced parsley
- dash nutmeg
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- dash salt and pepper
- If cooking directly, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread a couple of tablespoon of the marinara sauce in the bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Break the 6 oven-ready sheets of lasagna noodles in half. Lay 3 halves side by side in the bottom of the pan close together.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the 'Mushroom Meat' over the noodles. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Place another 3 half-noodles on top. Cover with 1/2 of the remaining marinara sauce.
- In a medium bowl, blend the ricotta, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese, the parsley, nutmeg, and egg. Mix well and then spread over the sauce layer.
- Add a third layer of lasagna half-noodles and spread with the remaining 'Mushroom Meat'. Sprinkle with another third of the mozzarella cheese.
- Add a fourth layer of noodles and cover with the rest of the marinara sauce. Place the tomato slices on top and sprinkle them with a little salt and pepper.
- Place the remaining mozzarella on top and add the remaining tablespoon of Parmesan cheese. (At this point, the dish may be covered with foil and refrigerated for up to a day before baking.)
- Place the foil-covered baking dish in the 375 degree F oven and bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes. If desired, place dish under broiler a minute or two to brown. Allow to stand 10 minutes before slicing and serving.