Russian Cheese BliniThis is a lighter, easier version of the Russian classic, Blinchiki, and it is high in protein due to the cottage cheese filling.
- 1/2 c cottage cheese
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- dash ginger
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c whole milk
- 1/4 c sour cream
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cider vinegar
- 1/4 c all purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 1/2 Tbsp butter for frying
- In a food processor, kitchen chopper, or by hand, blend the cottage cheese, honey, cinnamon and ginger until creamy.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg with a wire whisk until smooth. Add milk and sour cream and whisk for one minute.
- In a small bowl or cup, mix baking soda and vinegar until fizzy. Add to batter and whisk again.
- Gradually add flour and salt, beating until smooth.
- Heat an 8-inch or larger omelet/crepe pan on medium low.
- Melt 1/4 teaspoon butter for each pancake, coating the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in 1/4 cup batter per blin and fry about one minute, or until bubbles have formed all the way across and edges are brown.
- Loosen cake all around with heat-proof silicone spatula. Flip over and fry the other side about 30 seconds.
- Spread a tablespoon or two of the filling on each blin. Fold each blin in half, and then in half again. Arrange 2-3 blini on each plate and top with jam if desired. Serve hot.