The process on these vegan bagels is a little different from the norm, as they are firmed up in the broiler before going into boiling water. This will protect the yeast from collapse. I think you will enjoy the flavor and texture of the finished product.
Makes 12 small bagels.
- 1 pkg active dry or instant dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 3/4 c warm water (105-110 degrees F)
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 flaxseed-egg (1 Tbsp flaxseed meal stirred in 2 1/2 Tbsp warm water)
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp gluten flour (vital wheat gluten)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, gently mix the yeast with the warm water and sugar. Allow to stand 10 minutes until foamy.
- Add flaxseed-egg and oil; stir. Add flour, gluten flour, and salt. Continue to stir in bowl until all is incorporated and you have a very thick dough, much like pasta dough.
- Place the dough on a clean surface and knead by hand for 3 minutes (too heavy for electric mixer).
- Place dough back in bowl, cover, and allow to stand 45 minutes. (It may not double in size.)
- Flour a pan that can hold all the bagels and fit under the broiler. Place your broiler rack 6 inches from the flame.
- Line 1 full-sized or 2 half-sized baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and set a large pot containing 2 quarts of water and 2 tablespoons of sugar to the boil.
- Knead dough a minute, then divide it into 12 pieces.
- Flatten each piece into a 3-inch disc; then poke a hole in the center. Use your thumb to squeeze the center hole towards the edges, rotating the disc until the hole is an inch or more wide. (The sides of the bagel will be raised a bit in this process.)
- Place the bagels on the floured broiler pan. Broil 3 minutes, remove from oven and flip bagels over, then broil another 3 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Put 3-6 bagels at a time in the boiling water depending on the width of your pot; boil 2 minutes, turning over midway. With a slotted spoon, remove bagels to the parchment-lined baking tray(s).Sprinkle with seeds or other toppings if desired.
- Place bagels in the hot oven for 20 minutes, or until well-browned. Remove to cooling rack. Serve room or at room temperature.