Buttermilk Burger Buns
I use these buns for veggie burgers and especially for making Lentil Sloppy Joes. They are the perfect texture for vegetarian sandwich making as well!
Makes 12 medium burger buns.
- 1 1/2 c fresh buttermilk
- 1/4 c unsalted butter
- 1/4 c honey or corn syrup
- 1/2 c besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- pinch sugar
- pinch ground ginger
- 2 1/2 c all purpose flour (plus more for kneading)
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (less if using salted butter)
- 1 egg white, beaten (*or 2 Tbsp chia seed slurry as below)
- 1 Tbsp black seeds or poppy seeds
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the buttermilk, butter and honey until nearly scalded. Remove from burner and cool to 110 degrees F.
- Place buttermilk mixture in a large bread bowl. Add besan, active dry yeast, sugar, and ginger; whisk together.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes, or until foamy. In a separate bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and salt.
- Using a wooden spoon, gradually stir the flour mixture into the yeast mixture. When well blended, turn dough out on a lightly floured surface. Knead 5 minutes, adding a bit more flour as needed. (Dough should be soft.)
- Place dough in a buttered bowl and turn over so top of dough is buttered too. Cover tightly; place in a warm dark place for 1-2 hours or until doubled.
- Punch down and knead a few times. Cut dough into 12 even pieces. Roll each by turning the dough in at the center bottom all around and rolling into a ball between palms. Place dough balls on large, buttered baking sheet, spacing them evenly apart.
- Brush with beaten egg white (*or substitute 2 Tbsp chia seed slurry: beat 1 Tbsp chia seeds with 1 Tbsp water. Allow to stand 5 minutes or until thick.) Sprinkle tops of buns with black seeds.
- Cover with tented wax paper and allow to rise 45 minutes, or until doubled, preheating oven to 375 degrees F during last part of rise.
- Bake 20 minutes in center of oven, or until brown. Cool on baking sheet. Serve warm or at room temperature.