I modified this recipe from a similar one in the New Age Vegetarian Cookbook by the Rosierucian Fellowship. If you can get your hands on a copy of this book, you will have the ultimate vegetarian cookbook.
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 c cooked soybeans
- 1/2 c fresh parsley
- 1 c fine whole wheat cracker crumbs (or bread crumbs)
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1 tsp vegetable salt (or to taste)
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and butter a large baking sheet.
- Mince the onion, celery and garlic. In a medium skillet over medium low heat, melt butter. Add onion, celery and garlic; saute 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Cut carrot into medium slices. Place them in a food processor; pulse until finely ground. Remove to a large bowl. Add the sauted onion, celery and garlic.
- In the same food processor, pulse the soybeans and parsley until they nearly make a paste. Scrape into the large bowl. Add cracker crumbs, basil and vegetable salt.
- Separate the eggs. Lightly beat the egg yolks; beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Add egg yolks to the large bowl. Using clean hands, blend all (except egg whites) until completely combined.
- Add egg whites to the mixture, folding in gently.
- Using your palms, form 8 (4-inch) patties with the mixture and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with tartar sauce, salsa, brown gravy, or Ranch dressing. (Also good cold in sandwiches!)