Barbecued Soya Chunks (TVP or TSP)Textured soy protein (TSP), also known as textured vegetable protein (TVP), comes in many shapes and sizes. In this recipe, we have used unflavored chunks of TVP. This is an inexpensive, nutritious and delicious entree. The barbecued chunks are great in our Brunswick Stew recipe as well!
- 4 c water
- 5 oz unflavored TVP chunks (about 2.5 cups)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 c green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 c water
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- In a 2 quart pot, bring the water to a boil.
- Add TVP, lower heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While simmering, mix together all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
- After the TVP has boiled 15 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high.
- Saute onions and peppers for a couple of minutes.
- Add drained TVP and saute several more minutes, until TVP begins to brown.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Stir in sauce and cover.
- Turn heat down to low, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring 2-3 times.
- Serve hot with baked potatoes and buttered peas.