The yuca, or cassava root, is a staple food throughout the world. Here, we have used it as a potato substitute. It is equally creamy and satisfying.
- 1 lb yuca root, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1/3 c warm milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Put the yuca pieces in a saucepan with the garlic cloves and water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmering. Cook about 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain and mash the yuca with the garlic cloves, salt, and pepper using a potato masher or a ricer.
- Return to the saucepan and add warm milk and butter, stirring with a wooden spoon until very smooth. Garnish with minced parsley or chives if desired.